Sunday, August 2, 2015

"Mama's Mud" A Spa Treatment for Baby"


This is a shared post from my blog over at Linden Row Botanicals. I will be posting over there as well on soap and skincare topics.

      In May, I was blessed to give birth to my fifth child.  That's a lot of diapers and many opportunities for diaper rash to occur.  Naturally, once I started down this natural health and body care journey, over six years ago, I had to learn to make a better diaper rash cream.  I tried several recipes, but none worked as well as the one I came up with "Mama's Mud".  I have been using it for years now and given it as baby gifts as well.  The best thing is that it is VERY simple to make!

You will need:

1/8 cup coconut oil (extra virgin is preferred)

1/4 cup raw shea butter
3-4 Tablespoons Bentonite Clay (I use Redmond Clay)

This will make about 1 cup.

First, combine the coconut oil and shea butter in a small bowl.  You can use a hand mixer to blend or even soften the shea butter slightly in a double boiler.  Then add the clay until you reach the desired whipped texture.  Store it in a sealed container at your changing table or in a small tin in your diaper bag.  You can apply the paste at each diaper change to prevent rash or just apply when a rash occurs. 

I use the paste when there is an active rash.  As prevention, I have Redmond Clay (can you tell I love the stuff) in a shaker that I dust my babies bottom with during each diaper change. 


If you use cloth diapers, you can use this too!  I apply the paste and then use one of my homemade wet wipes (in its dry state) as a barrier. My wet wipes are made from cut up fleece receiving blankets.

*The paste may discolor or stain fabric.  It  is clay after all. :) 

"Mama's Mud" has worked wonders for me and I hope it brings quick healing to the little bums in your life.


Jill


No comments: