Sunday, September 15, 2013

The First Herbal Remedy I Make Each Fall




 
      

Elderberry Syrup

This is a staple in my home when the fall and winter months come around.  I have made some changes to my first recipe from LearningHerbs.com, but this video by Mountain Rose Herbs is a great place to start.  After making my first few batches of elderberry syrup, I started making a thyme syrup for cough.  I did make these separately for awhile, and then it struck me to combine the recipes.  This is how my Elderberry Thyme Cough Syrup came about.  If you would like to follow the video above it's recipe will be a great asset to your home, but if your winter sickness seems to always come with a deep cough give this syrup a try.
Elderberry Thyme Syrup
3 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup dried elderberries
1/4 cup dried thyme
1Tbsp of grated ginger
1 cinnimon stick
5 cloves
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup  raw honey(more to taste)
First add everything but the lemon juice and honey to a boiler . 
Cover and bring to a boil. 
Once it is boiling turn the temperature down to simmer and let it reduce by half.  This should take 20-30 minutes. 
After it has reduced turn off the heat and add the lemon juice. 
Strain liquid into a bowl, and let it cool for a few minutes before you add the raw honey.(to protect the healing qualities in the honey)
Store in the refrigerator in a closed glass jar. for a few weeks.
Dosing:
In my house 12 and older take up to 2 Tbsp. every four hours.
4-11 yrs 1 Tbsp
2-3 yrs 1 tsp
For younger than 2 yrs you can make it with maple syrup instead of honey, or with no sweetner at all.
 
What is your favorite winter remedy?
Jill, The Herbal Hutch
 
 
























































































































































































































No comments: